The Outliner is located by default in the top-left area of the main window. It’s visibility can be toggled with the button found in the quick dock-bar button group:
The Outliner shows a “tree-like” list of objects (more precise: transform nodes). By default list is sorted “globally” and does not depend on the layer membership. The objects can be also be displayed per layer. (objects of the first layer will be shown first, in the order they were created, than the objects of the second layer, and so on). The “Sort Elements per Layer” button can be used to toggle between these two modes.
- Expand all and Collapse all
- Expands all groups or collapses all groups
- Show hidden objects
- Shows (on) or hides (off) all (explicitly) hidden in the document objects.
- Marker Filter
- Is only visible in the Align-mode where Markers play the most important role. If on only markers are displayed. If off all objects are shown.
This view can be used to select, hide/show, rename, or change the order and hierarchy of objects.
This view allows the selection of single multiple items in the following ways:
- Single item selection is preformed with a single click (left mouse button)
- Region selection (a continuous list of items) is performed by selecting the first item with the left button. and the last item by an other click while the SHIFT key is held.
- Single items can be added (or removed - if selected) to the selection with a mouse click while the Ctrl key is held.
- Click on the icon (only groups have it) to select all items in this group.
Selected items can be manipulated in the “usual way”, eg. grouped with the shortcut Ctrl+G or deleted with the Del key.
Selected items can be dragged and dropped from one place in the list to an other with the middle mouse button.
The main difference compared to other applications is, that in smile2 drag-and-drop operations are always preformed with the middle mouse button.
Items can also be dropped in groups or “taken out” from groups.
The Outliner can also be used to rename or to hide or show objects.
can be changed by toggling the “eye” icon at the end of each visible object. Note, that invisible objects are only displayed if the Show hidden objects in the header is on. If so, they are displayed with a darker color and an italic font.
- To rename an item (object/group), double-click on it. It turns to an editable filed. To accept the input (confirm the name change) press Enter.